Theme: Read Wherever You Go
School is out and summer is finally here. Even though June was incredibly hot in many places, we are happy to have so many opportunities to socialize again and so many places we can go again.
The opening up of our cities and visting the people and places we love with our children reminds us that reading can happen anywhere and anytime. Books are just one form of reading. We can support our children’s early learning by having fun together noticing the different shapes, colors, letters and numbers all around us as we go to different places.
Let’s encourage our children to have fun with us by spotting words and letters wherever they go. Together, we can feel proud of what they have learned.
Key Messages for Parents:
- As we can safely socialize together again in many different ways, let’s find opportunities to read and learn with our children, wherever we go.
- Your child’s love of learning can grow while exploring the world with you. You can inspire them to learn in so many fun ways. You can spot words and letters together, hunt for colors and shapes, and make up funny words to describe common things you see in your daily routine.
- Your community has many stories to tell! Playing observation games like “I Spy” is a great way for children to learn more about their neighborhood. Walking around toghether is a great way to learn directions, distance, time, and speed.
- Summertime cooking is a great time to explore new words and concepts like those used in science and math. What’s the difference between a a cup and a spoonfull, hot versus cold, and how do salt and sugar transform a recipe? Your toddler will enjoy exploring a juicy circle called an orange while your 5-year-old can help you wash the vegetables.
Besides books, where else can you find the alphabet?
STEP 1: SHARE THIS STORY
“Read everywhere yougo” – Momentos de Conexión Video (Moments of Connection), 1 minute
Practice reading wherever you go. In this video, Rosaura shares that her son feels proud because he is learning to read. She says he finds letters everywhere they go, and she makes sure to reinforce his excitement.
Besides books, where else can you find the alphabet?
- Summer is a great time to practice reading with your children wherever you go! Encourage confidence in learning as your child finds letters and practices the alphabet. Summer reading has never mattered more than it does right now. Besides books, where else can you find the alphabet? #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
- ¡El verano es un momento perfecto para practirar la lectura con tus hijos a donde sea que vayas! Motiva la confianza en aprender mientras tus hijos encuentran letras y practican el alfabeto. La lectura de verano nunca ha importado tanto como ahora. Aparte de los libros, ¿dónde más puedes conseguir encontrar el alfabeto? #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
STEP 2: SHARE THESE CONSEJOS
Share these tip cards with parents to get them thinking about how to create loving moments of connection with their children. What advice can they provide?
INDEPENDENCE. Gradually supporting your child as they move independently through routines supports organizing skills needed for learning. It’s bedtime, what pajamas will you put on? Let’s make a list. Will you pack the bag? First step: can you help me wash the vegetables for the sancocho?. Wow, how did you do that all by yourself?
How are you celebrating your child’s independence?
Suggested Post for Independence Day:
Happy Independence Day! Gradually supporting your child as they move independently through routines supports organizing skills needed for learning. Use this Consejo to talk to your child about ways to become more independent. What would they like to be able to do all by themselves, and how can you use their help? How are you celebrating your child’s independence? #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
- ¡Feliz día de la independencia! Apoyar gradualmente a tus hijos mientras se mueven independientemente en las rutinas apoya sus habilidades de organización necesarias para aprender. Utiliza este Consejo Card para conversar con tu hijo sobre maneras de ser más independiente. ¿Qué les gustaría hacer ellos solos, y como pueden utilizar tu ayuda? ¿Cómo estas celebrando la independencia de tus hijos? #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
THE NEIGHBORHOOD. Engaging your child’s senses on a walk through your community develops their reading and geography skills. Look at this art, what shapes can we find? I spy, with my little eye, something that starts with the letter C. How many STOP signs before we turn? What sounds do you hear?
What are your neighborhood’s stories?
Suggested post to celebrate Summer:
Summer is a perfect-time to explore our communities. Engaging your child’s senses on a walk through your community develops their reading and geography skills. Use this Consejo to play “I Spy,” notice signs and find colors, shapes, letters and numbers in everyday spaces. What are your neighborhood’s stories? #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
- El verano es un momento perfecto para explorar nuestras comunidades. Re-enforzar los sentidos de tus hijos caminando por la comunidad desarrolla sus habilidades geográficas y de lectura. Utiliza este consejo para jugar “Veo, veo” y fíjate en los letreros, colores, figuras, letras y números en espacios cotidianos. ¿Cúales son las historias de tu barrio? #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
STEP 3: MOTIVATE TO ENJOY THIS READ-ALOUD
Share this storybook read aloud in Spanish. Invite parents to try a new reading strategy with their child. How might they activate these stories?
El Ocupado Día de DJ
Adaptation to Spanish: Helen Cuesta-Durand Illustrator: Nichole Wong Forti
Enjoy this story of a very busy rabbit named DJ and his family as they navigate the adventures of daily living. Every book, song, word, and cuddle you share with your children build their brains and prepares them for success in school and in life! This book is full of fun ideas for talking, reading, and singing with your children every day.
- Enjoy the summer with this book full of tips for talking, singing and reading with your child. Explore DJ’s Busy Day, created by Too Small To Fail to seize everyday moments of connection with your family. Beyond books, how do you make early learning fun? #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
- Disfruta del verano con este libro lleno de consejos para hablar, cantar y leer con tus hijos. Explora El Ocupado Día de DJ, creado por Too Small To Fail para aprovechas los momentos de conexión del día a día con tu familia. Más allá de los libros, ¿cómo haces el aprendizaje temprano divertido? #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
STEP 4: WATCH OUR TALK SHOW
Celebrity host Gaby Rivero is joined by our parent leader Lourdes de la Cruz, to discuss how children can learn science and math together with us, when they help us cook. We see a child learning through her mother’s favorite Pupusa recipe.
Juntas en Casa with Gaby Rivero (Together at Home), 5 minutes
- Celebrity host Gaby Rivero continues the conversation with parents like you about learning together at home. Watch the video about how to make math and science fun for them when they help you cook! Subscribe to @fuerzafamlatina YouTube channel for more videos like this, link in their bio! #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas #STEM
- Gaby Rivero, nuestra anfitrionia continúa la conversación con padres como tu sobre aprender juntos en casa. ¡Mira este video sobre como hacer las matemáticas y las ciencias divertidas para ellos mientras te ayudan a cocinar! Suscríbete al canal de Youtube de @fuerzafamlatina para más videos como este. Enlace en su biografía. #FuerzaFamLatina #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas
STEP 5: SUBSCRIBE TO TEXT MESSAGES
Invite caregivers to subscribe to Text Messages promoting early learning at home.
Messages are informed by scholarly research, are crafted in plain language and disseminated by Univisión and Too Small to Fail.
Recibe consejos en español para apoyar el desarrollo de tu hijo enviando la palabra CONSEJOS al 26262.
STEP 6: SIGN UP AND SHARE WORKSHOPS
Sign Up for a Parent Workshop
Share our free online workshop invitation to Spanish-speaking caregivers in your community of young children. Participants receive free books and create digital stories with their children. To find information about future workshops click and share here.
- ¡Aprende cómo tu amor puede brindar soporte al cerebro de tu hijo! Si eres padre de niños de 0 a 7 años y hablas español inscríbete en el taller de @fuerzafamlatina GRATIS. Los días 21, 23, 26, 28 y 30 de julio en diferentes horarios. Más información en @fuerzafamlatina. #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas #FuerzaFamLatina
Sign Up for a Professional Development Workshop
Share this invitation about online orientation for agencies serving Latinx families of children 0-7 years old. Organizations will learn about La Fuerza de Familias Latinas program and how to host a workshop for caregivers in their community. To find information about training events click here.
- Become a facilitator for La Fuerza! This 4-day program is designed for Spanish-speaking staff members of parent-serving agencies. Certified facilitators are able to implement La Fuerza’s family engagement curriculum for Spanish-speaking families of young children. Learn more at @fuerzafamlatina’s website. #LaFuerzadeFamiliasLatinas #FuerzaFamLatina
STEP 7: LEARN MORE
Explore to find more resources in Spanish, from our Partners Too Small to Fail and Univision Materials embed positive parenting messages and research-based tips. Share the telenovela, La Fuerza de Creer 2, access activities, watch videos, and more.